Dewalt recently came out with a new like of ToughBox jobsite tool boxes. They had previously put their name on some heavy duty jobsite boxes which you can still buy, but these new ToughBox tool chests offer some nice features that you might want to pay attention to.
Of course, more features doesn’t come cheap – these new boxes cost more than the other ones, which I would guess might eventually be phased out.
There’s one not-so-secret feature that I think is especially appealing – built-in ToughSystem portable tool box support rails!
Here’s a quick Dewalt ToughBox intro, from last year’s media event:
Being able to store Dewalt ToughSystem tool boxes right inside the jobsite tool box like that seems like a great feature. It doesn’t look like it takes up a lot of space either.
The ToughBox doesn’t come with any ToughSystem tool boxes, and so you don’t have to take advantage of this tool box within a box feature if you don’t want or need to.
Since the ToughSystem tool boxes are supported by the handles, you’re not limited to a single size. It looks to me like you can support ANY Dewalt ToughSystem tool box or accessory on the inner rails.
Following is the official promo video by Dewalt. Warning: it plays at MAX volume.
- 4-way skid access
- Reinforced hat for extra lid stiffness
- Finger groove lid
- Recessed lock housing
- Gas struts for lid support
- 3-point locking mechanism on 42″, 48″, 60″ chests
- Optional under lid storage add-on
- ToughSystem storage integration
- 2,500 lbs static weight capacity
- Predrilled caster holes
- 14 gauge steel floor
- 16 gauge steel body
- Rear rubber grommet for electrical pass-thru
- Recessed side handles
- Made in USA with global materials
There are 4 sizes:
- 36″, DWMT3628, $550 via Acme Tool
- 42″, DWMT4228, $570 via Acme Tool
- 48″, DWMT4828, $600 via Acme Tool
- 60″, DWMT6028, $680 via Acme Tool
The inner lid storage pocket modular isn’t available yet, but its model number is DWMT80432.
Specs for the 48″ box:
- 48″ width
- 34.5″ depth (same for all sizes)
- 59.5″ open height (same for all sizes)
- 28″ depth (same for all sizes)
- Weighs 229 lbs
They’re made in the USA with global materials.
I’m not a regular jobsite tool box user, but I love how well these new Dewalt ToughBoxes integrate their ToughSystem tool boxes. The add-on under-lid modules seem like are a nice touch too. I don’t think I’ve seen something like this as an option for other brand’s jobsite tool boxes.
It’s interesting to see Dewalt going after established brands such as Jobox and Knaack. Do you think these new Dewalt boxes are competitive and stand a chance at stealing some market share?