Festool recently came out with their TSC 55 cordless track saw, and there’s already another one on the way, the HKC 55. It looks like the new model is more designed for construction trades, as it’s smaller than the TSC 55, a little simpler, and with less emphasis on dust collection.
Festool says that the HKC 55 isn’t just a saw, it’s a mitre-saw system, thanks to the new trimming guide rail.
The Festool HKC 55 is powered by a single 18V battery pack and is bundled with or without a special cutting track specially designed for the saw. There’s also a bare tool version that doesn’t come with a charger or battery pack, for those who already bought into Festool’s 18V lineup.
Features include a powerful brushless motor, easy angle and depth adjustment, and the ability to use the saw with or without the cutting track. As with Festool’s other corded and cordless track saws, the HKC 55 saw can make plunge cuts, and also features their FastFix saw blade change system, a built-in riving knife, and hinged cover that swings out of the way for greater blade and cut line visibility.
Unlike Festool’s other saws, this one is not a plunge saw. Plunge cuts are made with the track, and won’t be as easily done.
The new FSK guide rail looks to be a major boost to the HKC 55’s versatility. It features a quick-acting closure so that you can quickly attach and detach your saw, an adjustable stop system that allows for angled cuts from 0 to 60° left and right, with locks at common angles, and an adjustable starting position stop with built-in rubber spring to help users reset the saw for the next cut.
Festool says that the HKC 55 is ideal for:
- Rip and cross cuts in materials up to 55 mm thick
- Ideal for mobile use on work sites
- Cutting roof battens to length
- Sawing lining boards/shuttering to size
- Sawing boards to size
- Cutting chipboard to size
- 4500 RPM no-load speed
- 160 mm (6.3″) saw blade diameter
- 0-50° angle adjustment range
- Cutting depth of up to 55 mm (~2.17″) at 0°, 42 mm (~1.65″) at 45°, 38 mm (1.50″) at 50°
- Kit comes with 18V 5.2Ah Li-ion battery
- Weighs 4.1 kg (~9 lbs), with battery
It also looks like you could hook up a dust extractor to the chip ejection port, although that partially defeats the cordless nature of the tool.
- HKC 55 EB Li-Basic: just the saw; no charger, no battery, no track
- HKC 55 Li 5,2 EB-Plus: saw plus charger and 5.2Ah battery
- HKC 55 Li 5,2 EB-Plus-FSK420: saw, battery, charger, and FSK 420 trimming rail
- HKC 55 Li 5,2 EB-Plus-FS: saw, battery, charger, standard guide rail FS 1400/2
All of the models come with a starter blade (W18) and Systainer 4 T-Loc case.
As usual, Festool’s marketing video makes the new cordless saw look especially drool-worthy.
Right now, Festool has only announced the HKC 55 cordless saw for the European market. USA plans have not been revealed.
More Info(via Festool)