Craftsman has recently come out with their new AirBoss portable air compressor. It features a 5A 3/4 HP pump motor, 1.2 gallon air tank, convenient carry handle, and what looks to be a convenient onboard tire inflation hose.
- 135 PSI Max
- 1.8 SCFM at 90 PSI
- 2.6 SCFM at 40 PSI
- 1.2 gallon capacity
- 5A, 3/4 HP motor
The new compressor is oil-free for less maintenance, and features a quick release outlet fitting, two pressure gauges (tank and outlet), built-in regulator, and looks to have a sealed power switch and attachment storage compartment (such as for ball inflation pins).
It’s designed to operate horizontally and store vertically.
Buy Now(via Sears)
Price: $140 on sale, possibly available for less depending on the current promo
Item # 916574, Model # 8215250SRS500
Also, it appears that this compressor is made for Craftsman by Fini, an Italian professional air compressor manufacturer.
This looks to be a very neat and tidy portable compressor that seems well suited for around-the-house use. It should be able to handle smaller pneumatic nailers, and its 1.2 gallon tank should be suitable for lighter duty tasks.
I like the idea of an onboard inflation hose, and the quick release fitting allows use of other accessories, such as air blowers or possibly smaller nailers.
There are four questions I asked Craftsman about this compressor.
1) How loud (or quiet) is the compressor?
2) How long is the AC power cord?
3) How long is the included inflation hose?
4) If the compressor is rated at 135 PSI Max, why do the gauges go up to 250 PSI?
5) What else is special about this air compressor?
1) 73 dB(A)
2) 6 ft
3) 5 ft
4) Maximum pressure markings on the gauges are specified by the certified listing agency (CTL, UL, CSA, etc.)
- Dust shielded switch ensures reliable operation
- Regulator features positive detents every 1/4 turn to lock into desired operating pressure.
- The thumb-lock air chuck can be used with inflation needles to inflate balls, pool toys and rafts.
- The compressor can be connected to a 5 gal air tank to increase usable air capacity.
- The compressor can be used upright or on its side
- Handle has split ring attachment points if the used wishes to install a shoulder strap
They also offered a comment about the compressor’s 3/4 HP power rating, which I noted is appreciable smaller than the 1.5 HP rating of other makes of this model air compressor.:
¾ running horsepower. This is different than the peak horsepower shown on the Stanley and Fini versions. Peak HP measure inrush electrical current at the moment the motor starts. It is the maximum theoretical amount of power the motor will draw upon startup (often just short of burning itself up). We list running horsepower on our air compressors, which reflects the amount of current drawn by the motor under normal operating conditions. Craftsman recommends that users always look at the maximum SCFM air output when comparing air compressors.