(Remember, our Craftsman Max Axess socket set giveaway ends this Friday. So if you haven’t entered yet, get on over there and do so!)
We’ve been casually testing one of Craftsman Max Axess pass-thru socket sets for a couple of weeks now, and have really grown to like it.
- High quality ratchets
- Great build quality all around, perfect finish
- All-in-one system fits in a low-profile carry/storage case that we actually want to keep!
- Ratchets come with adapters for regular 1/4″, 3/8″ sockets
- Pass-thru sockets can take the place of deep sockets, wrenches, or specialty sockets in many cases
- Low-profile ratchet + shallow sockets = great for limited clearance applications
- Compatible with Gearwrench pass-thru sockets, screwdriver bits, and accessories (at least all the ones we tried)
What can be improved:
- What about a 11/32″ socket? (Yes, we’ve got unusual needs)
- Fit of spinner handle could be a little better
- How about a screwdriver bit adapter?
In all, there’s not much to complain about. As you can see, most of our criticisms are trivial. What we would really like to see come out is a smaller kit that includes the 1/4″ ratchet, a bit adapter, a few screwdriver bits and a storage case as nice as the one this set came with. The regular price of $70 is a little steep, but we feel that sale prices of $55-60 make this a great buy.
Buy Now(via Sears)
The Max Axess set is featured on page 5 of Sears’ 2011 Holiday Catalog.
Don’t forget to use coupon code SEARS2011.
Thank you to Craftsman for providing the sample for this review unconditionally. Review samples are typically returned, donated, or in some cases retained for further testing or benchmark and comparison purposes.