Do you remember how in past years there was a Dewalt 18V NiCd drill/driver kit for ~$99 every holiday season? Last winter Dewalt came out with a new 20V Max Li-ion drill/driver kit that’s specially priced for the holidays. It’s back on sale, for $99 at Home Depot, and seems to have permanently replaced the NiCd kit as the seasonal promo item.
The DCD771 drill/driver is not the same as Dewalt’s regular 20V Max drill, but reviews from those who bought or received the new drill kit last winter have been reasonably positive.
Compared to the DCD780 drill, the DCD771 is:
- longer (8.7″ vs. 7.5″)
- heavier (3.6 lbs vs 3.4 lbs)
- less powerful (300 UWO vs. 350 UWO)
- slower (0-450/0-1500 RPM vs. 0-600/0-2000 RPM)
- bundled with smaller batteries (1.3Ah batteries vs. 1.5Ah)
- bundled with a slower charger (60 mins vs. 30 mins)
- bundled with a contractor bag instead of a hard plastic case
If you can live with these compromises, the DCD771C2 special buy kit is a good bargain at $99.
If you’re looking for a ~$100 drill/driver kit and want something different, Bosch’s DDS181 kit ($102 via Amazon) comes with a good drill/driver (it’s the one I use most), an L-Boxx 2 modular storage case, (1) compact Li-ion battery pack, and a charger.