A year and a half ago, Dewalt came out with a number of new mechanics tool sets and wrench sets that were sold exclusively at Sears. That exclusivity expired at some point, and the various Dewalt mechanics tool sets started popping up at other retailers.
Now, Dewalt seems to be expanding their core offerings with a number of new sets. Although technically you could call the new offerings sets, they’re more appropriately described as modules.
There aren’t many details available yet, as Dewalt only recently started adding the new SKUs to their website, but there’s enough to provide some food for thought.
- DWMT73801 108-piece tool set
- DWMT73802 142-piece tool set
- DWMT73803 168-piece tool set
- DWMT73804 34-piece 1/4″ and 3/8″ socket set
- DWMT73805 25-piece 1/4″ socket set
- DWMT73806 17-piece 3/8″ bit socket set
- DWMT73807 15-piece accessory tool kit
- DWMT73808 70-piece 1/4″ multi-bit and nut driver set
- DWMT73809 8-piece combination wrench set (inch)
- DWMT73810 8-piece combination wrench set (metric)
- DWMT73811 20-piece 1/4″ deep socket set
- DWMT73812 20 piece 3/8″ deep socket set
- DWMT73813 22-piece 1/2″ drive socket set
- DWMT73814 10-piece 1/2″ deep socket set (inch)
- DWMT73815 10-piece 1/2″ deep socket set (metric??)
All of the new sets appear to be bundled with a stackable and interlocking case that has a translucent yellow lid so that you can easily view case contents. Irwin did something similar with their newest tap and die sets, and it’s good to see Dewalt build upon that idea. These cases look like micro versions of Dewalt’s mini parts organizer.
It will be interesting to see if the new kits will be exclusive to a particular retailer (Home Depot?), and if the tools themselves boast any improvements over the ones released in 2013.
One thing that still disappoints me is how Dewalt only bundles their mechanics tools as part of sets and kits. Although, if one wants a loose wrench, there are plenty of other Stanley Black & Decker brands that do offer loose tools.