Bosch has just announced the PS21-2A, an upgraded short-nose Pocket Driver in their lineup of 12V Max compact cordless power tools. Compared to the popular PS20 Pocket Driver, the PS21-2A is smaller, faster, and can output twice the maximum torque.
Bosch’s new and improved Pocket Driver is described as the most compact and powerful screwdriver in its class! Skeptical of this, we checked other brands’ driver specs and found these claims are actually quite accurate! Way to go, Bosch!
It has been nearly four years since the launch of Bosch’s PS20 Pocket Driver revolutionized the cordless drill/driver market. The PS20 compact driver is as well regarded now as it was then, and remains a favorite amongst homeowners, DIYers, and professionals alike.
Given the impact Bosch’s original release had on the cordless power tool market and the flood of new compact 12V tools that followed, we’re naturally very excited to see how their flagship 12V Max product has evolved.
Bosch PS21-2A Pocket Driver Features
- Short head length of 5.6″
- Lightweight at only 1.8 lbs.
- 1/4″ universal hex bit holder
- 20+1 clutch setting, for perfect torque adjustments and precise screwing
- 2 reversible speed settings: 0-350 RPM is optimized for high torque screwdriving, and 0-1300 RPM for high speed drilling
- Variable speed trigger
- Bright LED light to illuminate work spaces
- Soft grip, slightly redesigned for improved grip
- Maximum torque of 265 in-lbs.
- 30 minute charger with 2 lithium ion batteries, and a carry case
New PS21 vs. PS20 Improvements
- 20% Smaller head length (5.6″ vs. 6-1/2″) for better balance, control, and working in tight areas
- 2x more maximum torque (265 vs 100 in-lbs.)
- 2x faster (1300 vs. 500 no-load RPM)
- 6% more compact overall
By no means is the PS20 big or bulky, but the 0.9 inch difference in length between it and new PS21 will be quite noticeable. This improvement alone would be a great selling point for the new driver, but let’s not forget about the two speed settings and higher torque specs!
It looks like the new PS21 is a great upgrade over the excellent and immensely popular PS20, and will be the cordless driver all other manufacturers will strive to match or beat.
The PS21-2A pocket driver kit is currently priced at about $125-145, and a bare tool is also available for about $85 for those who already have a Bosch 12V Max charger and batteries available.
Note: If you purchase the new driver kit by May 31, 2010, you can receive a free PS20B pocket driver, extra battery, or flashlight, via a mail-in rebate. (Bosch Rebate Info)