Every now and then we find a power tool that stands apart from others in its class. Porter Cable’s 5″ Low-Profile Random Orbital Sander is one such tool. With its reduced height, we can see how that this sander would be much easier to control than traditional palm-grip sanders.
While this sander’s unique low-profile design is its main selling point, it is also packed with an impressive set of features:
- variable speed control
- electronic load control, so the motor does not slow down under pressure
- mechanical brake, to rapidly slow down the tool
- optimized ergonomics
- 3.5A EnduraTech motor, which is said to provide increased performance and durability.
Porter Cable’s low profile sander is equipped with either a 5-inch 8-hole hook & loop pad, or a PSA pad, depending on the model. Unless otherwise noted, these sanders are also equipped with a dust collection canister as well as 1″ and 1-1/2″ vacuum dust ports.
There are currently four kit variations of Porter Cable’s low-profile sander:
- 390K – includes a hook & loop pad, dust collection, and kit box
- 390 -same as 390K but without the kit box
- 394 – includes PSA pad with dust collection
- 392 – same as 394 but without dust collection
The 390K is what most people will want, and is priced at about $130 or so.