Do you have any recommendations for a home automation hub/system?
My Wink hub died last week and I need a new home automation system or hub to replace it with.
Why not just buy a new Wink hub? I’ve been using Wink for several years and have been less than impressed with it for several reasons:
- It’s slow
- The hub often loses contact with the internet and devices it is supposed to control
- The lag is several seconds, often more than 10 seconds
- The future of Wink is very uncertain
I got into the system by getting a cheap Quirky (now Wink) hub with a few lights at Home Depot. We needed a way to dim the light in my daughter’s room. She had a ceiling fan with only an on/off switch on the wall. Rather than having to install an aftermarket remote control in the fan, I thought I’d give this home automation thing a try.
Fast forward several years and I have quite a few lights and outlets controlled by an upgraded Wink hub. I have a Wink Relay (shown above) to control the system, but I’m not hopeful that I’ll be able to re-use it with a new hub.
My criteria for a new system are:
- Mostly wireless (no running low voltage wires everywhere)
- Have integration for lights AND outlets
- The hub should not depend on Wifi
- Very little lag
- Relatively stable company
I’m looking at the Samsung Smart Things Hub right now. It works with all my devices, it has an Ethernet port, and Samsung has committed a lot of resources to the system. It’s not going to disappear because one retailer stopped carrying it — like what happened with Iris at Lowe’s.
But, I’d like to know if any of you run Home Automation systems. Which system do you run? Would you recommend it?