Ridgid has announced their new generation of 18V cordless power tools – GEN5X. When the new product family launches, there will be just two products, a 5pc combo kit (R9652), and a random orbit sander (R8606).
Right now details are sparse, but we hope to gather more details and info in coming days and weeks.
There are two points I wanted to emphasize first.
1) Ridgid makes some very strong claims about their new permanent magnet motors, but the new Gen5X tools are NOT brushless. Maybe a couple of new brushless tools will be released later on, but there hasn’t been any indication of this.
2) Ridgid’s Gen5X tools and batteries will be compatible with all of their other 18V X4 tools, batteries, and chargers.
Ridgid Gen5X 5pc Combo Kit (R9652)
Ridgid says that the new Gen5X 18V cordless tools will outperform the competition in a number of ways. The tools have been engineered with new motors that provide best-in-class power, performance, and runtime, and the tools themselves are said to offer best-in-class extreme weather performance.
Combo Kit Contents
- Hammer Drill (R8611503)
- Impact Driver (R86035)
- Circular Saw (R8652)
- Reciprocating Saw (R8642)
- LED Flashlight (R8693)
- Charger (R840095)
- (2) 4.0 Ah batteries (R840087)
- Auxiliary handle
- (2) Bits, circular saw blade, blade wrench, reciprocating saw blade, (3) belt hooks
- Carrying bag
- Operator’s Manuals
Buy Now(via Home Depot)
Gen5X Hammer Drill
- Torque: 780 in-lbs.
- 0 – 450/0-1,600 RPM no-load speeds
- 0 – 7,200 / 0 – 25,600 BPM
- 1/2″ chuck with carbide locking jaws
- Integrated “Chuck Light” LED for unobstructed and shadow-free illumination
Gen5X Impact Driver
- Torque: 2,000 in-lbs.
- 0 – 2,750 RPM no-load speeds
- 0 – 3,200 IPM
- 3 speed settings for adjustable power and speed
Gen5X Circular Saw
- 7-1/4 inch blade size
- 3,700 RPM no-load speed
- Corded-like performance
Gen5X Reciprocating Saw
- 1-1/8 inch stroke length
- 0 – 3,000 SPM no-load speed
- On/Off orbital action; orbital action for wood-cutting and demolition, non-orbital for cutting metal
Gen5X LED Flashlight
- Over 40 hours of runtime with the included 4.0 Ah HYPER Li-ion battery
Gen5X Random Orbit Sander
There will also be a new sander available as a bare-tool add-on (R8606). As with the circular saw, it’s said to be powerful enough to provide “corded-like performance.” The Gen5X sander is compatible with Ridgid’s other 18V slide-style battery packs.
- 7,000 – 11,000 OPM variable speed
- 1/8 inch orbit diameter
- 5 inch pad size
- AIRGUARD technology collects up to 90% of dust for a cleaner work area
- Over 40 minutes of runtime when paired with a 4.0Ah Hyper Li-ion battery
Buy Now(via Home Depot)
Here’s a teaser video that doesn’t really show anything except the built-in LED worklights:
There really are too few details for me to form much of an opinion about the new Gen5X tools, but a couple of things do stand out.
First, 780 in-lbs peak torque for the drill and 2,000 in-lbs peak torque for the impact driver? Those are pretty impressive specs.
Also, the impact driver has 3 speed and torque settings. I don’t think I’ve seen this feature on a brushed-motor impact driver before.
Hopefully we’ll see some more innovations and developments as part of the Gen5X lineup.