I recently began testing Rolair’s JC10 Super Quiet 2.5 gallon oil-less air compressor, and thus far my only complaint is that its vibration-dampening feet left small smudges on my workbench surface. Seriously, that is the only thing I can complain about. A quick wipe with a damp rag and this will be the perfect compact portable air compressor.
There are a few differences between the test sample and the model shown here, such as round horizontal legs vs. square, a black regular knob vs. red, and a quick-turn drain knob vs. round knurled knob.
What I already knew:
1. Rolair makes super-reliable air compressors.
2. The JC10 is super-quiet.
3. The JC10 is made overseas but tested in the USA before being shipped out.
What I learned:
4. The JC10 is shipped double-boxed and takes pliers (for the staples) and patience to remove from its packaging. This is in stark contrast to a compressor I accepted for review two years ago that arrived with a cracked motor housing and broken drain knob.
5. So much metal! While still highly portable, the compressor is a little heavier than I anticipated. But, it’s still easy to carry and I’m content in knowing that Rolair didn’t cheap out on materials.
6. A brief but useful product manual. What’s that little doohickey bridging the air tank and motor? Oh, it’s a solenoid and check valve assembly. Because they are easily accessible, maintenance or service – if needed – should be easily accomplished.
7. There is a pre-start checklist and a daily/weekly/monthly/quarterly maintenance schedule chart.
8. 70% duty cycle. Maybe it’s my imagination, but I believe I once had a compressor that required long rest periods before recycling. It’s good to see that the JC10 can handle a good workout. And if it can’t, an internal protective circuit will let you know when the JC10 needs to rest.
Thus far, I’m impressed. If you’re in the market for a 2.5 gallon 1HP oil-less air compressor, make sure the Rolair JC10 is on your short list. No, it’s not as compact as other small-capacity compressors, but it’s appreciably quieter.
Buy Now(via Amazon)
Rolair makes a wide range of portable and stationary air compressors. What also surprised me is that they assemble most of their air compressors in the USA. This model is tested but not assembled in the USA, but it is still refreshing to see a company being so upfront about this. Here’s a list (PDF) of all the 132 of 141 compressors that Rolair builds in the USA. You can see their full lineup at Rolair.net.
Thank you to Rolair for providing the review sample unconditionally. Review samples are typically given away, donated, or retained for benchmark and comparison purposes.