If you buy this Ryobi $99 starter kit with two 3Ah batteries and charger, you can get a free bare tool. The deal is mentioned in this week’s Home Depot promo flyer with a 5/22/19 end date, but the flyer also says while supplies last, so this deal may extend longer.
Online, they say the promo is valid 05/17/2019 – 06/20/2019.
The special buy starter kit, P166, includes two P191 3.0 Ah Lithium+ HP Batteries, a P118B Charger, and a tool bag. Take note that these are the 3.0 Ah batteries, and not the usual 4.0 Ah batteries that you’ll often see on sale at $99 for 2.
The P118B charger is also a smaller charger, rather than their typical 18V chargers. Ryobi says it can charge 18V ONE+ batteries in as little as an hour.
The free bonus tool selection seems to be limited in stores, but if you go online you are presented with a lengthier list of eligible bonus options:
- Cordless 3-1/4 in. Planer (Tool Only)
- Hybrid Soldering Station (Tool-Only)
- 150-Watt Powered Inverter Generator for 18-Volt Battery
- 18-Gauge Offset Shear (Tool Only)
- Hybrid Stereo with Bluetooth Wireless Technology (Tool Only)
- Cordless 1/4 in. Hex QuietSTRIKE Pulse Driver (Tool-Only) with Belt Clip
- Cordless 3/8 in. 3-Speed Impact Wrench (Tool Only)
- Cordless Reciprocating Saw (Tool-Only)
- Cordless 3-Speed 1/4 in. Hex Impact Driver (Tool Only)
- Cordless Orbital Jig Saw (Tool-Only)
- Hybrid LED Cable Lights (Tool Only)
- Cordless Fixed Base Trim Router (Tool Only) with Tool Free Depth Adjustment
- Hybrid 20-Watt LED Work Light (Tool-Only)
- Cordless 3/8 in. Right Angle Drill (Tool-Only)
- JobPlus Base with Multi-Tool Attachment (Tool-Only)
- Cordless 6-1/2 in. Circular Saw (Tool Only)
- Cordless 1/2 in. Hammer Drill/Driver (Tool Only) with Handle
- 2.0 Ah Compact Lithium-Ion Battery
- Lithium-Ion 2.0 Ah Battery and Dual Chemistry IntelliPort Charger Kit
- Hybrid LED Spotlight (Tool Only) with 12-Volt Automotive Cord
- Cordless Dual Function Inflator/Deflator (Tool Only)
- 90 MPH 200 CFM 18-Volt Lithium-Ion Cordless Leaf Blower – Battery and Charger Not Included
- Cordless LED Workbench Light (Tool Only)
- Cordless Compact Workshop Blower (Tool Only)
- 1.5 Ah Compact Lithium-Ion Battery
- Hybrid Portable Fan (Tool Only)
- Cordless 4-1/2 in. Angle Grinder (Tool-Only)
- Cordless 5 in. Random Orbit Sander (Tool-Only)
- Power Caulk and Adhesive Gun (Tool Only)
- Cordless 1/4 Sheet Sander (Tool-Only) with Dust Bag
- SPEED SAW Rotary Cutter (Tool Only)
- In-Vehicle Dual Chemistry Charger for use with 12V DC Outlet
- 40-Watt Soldering Iron (Tool-Only)
- Cordless Compact Radio with Bluetooth Wireless Technology (Tool-Only)
- Cordless 6 in. Buffer (Tool-Only)
- Corner Cat Finish Sander (Tool Only)
- Cordless 10 in. Orbital Buffer (Tool-Only)
- Cordless Full Size Glue Gun (Tool-Only) with 3 General Purpose Glue Sticks
- Cordless Area Light with USB Charger (Tool-Only)
- Cordless Power Inflator (Tool-Only)
- Cordless High Volume Power Inflator (Tool Only)
- Lithium-Ion Cordless Hand Vacuum (Tool-Only)
- Lithium-Ion Cordless LED Light (Tool Only
Strangely some of the eligible “free tools” are actually other batteries or chargers. Unless you really want one of the cheaper tools, the value of the deal is maximized if you select one of the more expensive tools, like the cordless planer for $84 or the new 150W power inverter for $80.
Ordering online is simple, just go to the link below, and there’s a listing of all the eligible bare tools you can choose from for the free bonus. Just choose the tool you want and add the starter kit to your cart. When you go to your cart both items will show up with a cart total of $99. I set my order for pickup at one of my local stores and retrieved it an hour later without having to hunt down any of the products.
As I mentioned before, you should be aware that these are 3.0 Ah 10-cell 18650 batteries, not the standard 4.0 Ah 10-cell 18650 batteries, but I still think this is a decent deal. For instance, I was planning to buy a Ryobi tool that cost $80. I could just buy the $80 tool, or I could spend $20 more and get the tool plus 2 batteries and a charger.
After picking up my tool and starter kit from a Home Depot locker, I started wondering about the included charger. There was no mention of amperage on the wall wart or charger body and I couldn’t find any mention of the charge time other than “Charges ONE+ batteries in as little as 1 hour,” so I had to figure it out the hard way.
I pulled the back off the charger, which wasn’t easy because they used safety Torx with deep recessed holes, and I attached it to one of the new 3.0 Ah batteries which only had one bar of charge. After the battery started charging, I put the clamp-on ammeter around one of the input wires and measured 2.02A. This means that this charger should charge one of these 3.0 Ah batteries fully in about 1.5 hours.
I felt better knowing this wasn’t one of those “cup” or “slide-on” chargers that Porter Cable and Black & Decker sometimes ship with their tools. This charger even has slots for wall-mounting. It’s smaller and slower than their other chargers, but still seems to be decent.