Over the weekend, a couple of readers forwarded a Wiha USA marketing newsletter, where they teased that Something BIG is Coming.
Monday morning at 8:00 AM CST, we’re launching something incredible.
Well, it’s Monday morning, and here’s their big reveal: Wiha USA has launched the:
“ultimate limited edition tool and tool storage set imaginable.”
There will be 100 limited edition tool kits available, and here’s what it comes with:
- Veto Tech Pac Backpack Tool Bag
- 7 Insulated SoftFinish Screwdrivers
- 3 Insulated Cushion Grip Pliers/Cutters
- 6 Color-Coded Magnetic Nutsetters,
- 22 Color-Coded Hex L-Keys
- 7 Terminator Impact Bits
- 3 Classic Grip Pliers/Cutters
- 7″ Classic Grip Wire Strippers
- Slotted 8mm SoftFinish Extra Heavy-Duty Screwdriver
Wiha puts the tool count at 50.
If you consider the screwdriver bits as 1 bundle of 7 bits, and the hex key sets as only 2 tools, that count is reduced to 22 tools and a tool bag for $400.
Here’s the full list:
- Veto Pro Pac – Tech Pac Backpack Tool Bag
- Classic Grip Wire Strippers and Cutters 7″
- SoftFinish X Heavy Duty Screwdriver | Slotted 8.0mm x 150mm
- 7 Piece Insulated SoftFinish® Cushion Grip Screwdriver Set
- Slotted 3.5mm, 5.5mm, 6.5mm
- Phillips #1, #2
- Square#1, #2
- 3 Piece Insulated Cushion Grip Pliers and Cutters Set
- Insulated Industrial Lineman’s Pliers 9.5″
- Insulated Industrial High Leverage Cutters 8.0″
- Insulated Industrial Long Nose Pliers 8″
- 6 Piece Color-Coded Magnetic Nutsetters Set | SAE
- 1/4″, 5/16″, 3/8″, 7/16″, 1/2″, 9/16″
- 9 Piece Color-Coded Hex L-Keys Set | Metric
- 1.5mm, 2mm, 2.5mm, 3mm, 4mm, 5mm, 6mm, 8mm, and 10mm
- 13 Piece Color-Coded Hex L-Key Set | SAE
- 0.5″, 1/16″, 5/64″, 3/32″, 7/64″, 1/8″, 9/64″, 5/32″, 3/16″, 7/32″, 1/4″, 5/16″, 3/8″
- 7 Piece Trial Terminator Impact Bit Buddy Set
- 2 x Phillips #2 | 2 x Square #2 | 2 x Torx® T25 | 1 x Torx® T30
- 3 Piece Classic Grip Pliers and Cutters Set
- Classic Grip Auto Pliers 10.0″
- Classic Grip Adjustable Pliers Box Type 7″
- Classic Grip End Cutting Nippers 8.0″
The Veto Pro Pac tech backpack has 46 pockets.
Wiha’s tool sets tend to be expensive, but this set seems a little better priced in comparison, although the screwdriver bits throw things off a little bit. Their 54+ Master Electrician’s set ($623 via Amazon), for instance, contains a set of precision screwdrivers instead of insert bits. I say 54+ because that particular set is described as a 54pc set, a 56pc set, and a 59pc set, depending on where you’re looking.
This set comes with a mix of insulated and non-insulated screwdrivers and pliers and cutters.
If the Veto Pro Pac is identical to the Veto Service Technician tool backpack, its retail value is going to be the majority of the cost of this kit. The backpack – if it’s the same one – is priced at $290 via Amazon.
At the time of this posting, around 10:30am ET, the tool kit is still in stock.
I can’t help but feel that if this were a marketing move by Wera or Knipex, all 100 sets would have flown off the figurative shelf by now. Maybe it’s the mix of insulated tools that’s dulling the appeal a little bit?
If you want that Veto tool bag, assuming it’s regular Veto quality and comparable to the Service Tech bag, and at least half the tools in this assortment, you should be getting your money’s worth, and then some.
What’s the intent of this promo though? To drive up “viral” interest with newsletter blasts and social media hype only to sell a maximum of 100 kits? Maybe they’re testing the water with a Veto Pro Pac tool bag collaboration?
Wiha’s distributors seem to be cut out of the loop on this one, as this is a Wiha USA-direct promo.
It’ll be interesting to see how long this limited edition sale lasts for, and what the move might lead to later.