Festool’s new TS 55 REQ track saw is now available for purchase in the USA. Festool says the new saw is the most advanced plunge cut saw and guide rail system they ever built. Like the TS 55 EQ that came before it, the TS 55 REQ is incredibly portable, easy to use, and cuts beautifully with high precision.
TQ 55 REQ vs. TS 55 EQ
I bought a TS 55 EQ two years ago, and it has worked out beautifully well. I’m not a professional woodworker or contractor, so I can’t justify the price to upgrade a perfectly functional saw. But for those who earn a living through the use of their saw and other power tools should pay attention to the benefits the upgrade will bring you:
- Easy to read depth scale, with a self-adhering imperial/inch scale so you don’t have to do constant metric conversions
- Micro-adjustable depth control for extra-precise settings
- A streamlined splinter guard for more protection from splintering
- Flat housing for flush-cutting
- Redesigned riving knife emerges from saw blade for easier positioning in existing cut lines
- Greater bevel range of -1° to 47° with positive stops at 0° and 45°
- Better dust control thanks to an improved dust channel design that improves extraction efficiency
The 55 REQ is without a doubt a great improvement over the 55 EQ.
- 10 Amp/1200 Watt motor
- 6-1/4″ blade, 48 tooth carbide blade included
- 2,000 – 5,200 RPM
- Bevel cuts -1° – 47°, detents at 0°, 45°
- Cutting depth (with guide rail): 1-15/16 at 0°, 1-7/16″ at 45°
- Cutting depth (without guide rail): 2-1/8″ at 0°, 1-11/16″ at 45°
- Weight of 9.92 pounds
The TS 55 REQ kit (561556) is priced at $585 and comes with a 55″ guide rail and Systainer 4 tool box.
It is also available in bundles with Festool’s various dust extractors. Anyone planning to make their first Festool purchase should strongly consider such a combo.