Dremel just announced their new Saw-Max, a handheld circular trim saw. The Dremel Saw-Max SM20-01 is designed for one-handed use and can make straight, plunge, or flush cuts up to 3/4″ deep. It can be used to cut wood, plastic, laminates, drywall, sheet metal, and tiles.
Buy Now(via Amazon)
To change the Saw-Max between standard and plunge-cutting mode and flush-cutting mode, all that’s needed is a simple hardware and cutting wheel change. For flush-cutting, a wheel with a domed hub is used for what looks to be near-zero clearance.
A miter and trim cutting guide can be used to make accurate beveled cuts in baseboard. Several other cutting guides will also be available, such as an edge-cutting guide and 2×4 cutting guide.
The Saw-Max is scheduled to be released in the Fall with an MSRP of $130 and $139 CAD, and it will be bundled with an SM500 multipurpose cutting wheel and additional blades and accessories.
Dremel Saw-Max Kit Details
Kit SM20-02 is said to include:
- Dremel Saw-Max SM20 tool
- SM842 2×4 Cutting Guide
- TRSM810 Dust Port Adapter
- SM500 Multi-Purpose Carbide Wheel
- SM510 Metal Cut-Off Wheel
- SM540 Tile Diamond Wheel
- SM600 Multi-Purpose Flush Cut Carbide Wheel
- Storage Case
We are not yet certain if the $130 MSRP corresponds to the -01 or -02 kit, and we’ll update this post as soon as we have more information. Kit details are also subject to change until the tools are officially launched. Following Dremel’s recent kit numbering trends, we expect for the SM20-01 kit to includes slightly fewer accessories at a lower pricepoint.
An assortment of blades and accessories were developed in parallel with the tool itself, providing what we consider a complete system. Nicely done, Dremel!
Dremel Saw-Max Blades
- SM500: Tungsten carbide metal-bonded wheel for cutting a variety of materials
- SM510: Aluminum oxide organic bonded wheel for cutting metal
- SM520: Diamond metal bonded wheel for cutting ceramics and masonry
- SM540: Silicon carbide organic bonded wheel for cutting masonry
- SM600: Flush cut tungsten carbide metal bonded wheel for cutting a variety of materials
Dremel Saw-Max Attachments
- TRSM800: Edge guide aids in cutting materials up to 6 inches wide
- TRSM810: Vacuum adapter connects to the tool’s built-in dust port to keep users’ work places clean and their lines of sight clear
Dremel Saw-max Cutting Guides
- SM842: 2×4 cutting guide clamps onto a 2×4 board to allow users to cut 2x4s with two passes of the Dremel Saw-Max
- SM840: Miter and trim cutting guide combines the benefits of a compact power saw with the compactness of a miter box and works similar to a “speed square” for straight and miter cuts as well as bevel cuts
Dremel is known for their multi-tools, and more recently the Multi-Max oscillating tool and Trio. So why develop a multipurpose saw now? Dremel has reported that cutting accessories and attachments are their number 1 accessory category. Combined with their recent survey that shows many homeowners are turning to DIY, the Saw-Max seems like a logical development.